Monday, December 1, 2008

AIDS




This is a picture of me taken on April 19, 2000 at an AIDS orphanage in Harare, Zimbabwe. This is the place my thoughts automatically go to whenever I come across anything related to HIV/AIDS.  I've been thinking about this place all day while stitching... the infant room with tiny, sickly looking babies crying to be feed, the little boy who had an accident on my friend's lap when he got so excited to be held by someone, the volunteers that dedicated weeks and months (not just a couple of days like I did) to keeping the orphanage up and running.  It is days like these where I am convinced that my presence in the world is sorely misused for narcissistic and futile pursuits.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think about this place all the time - especially that little boy.