Monday, November 10, 2008

Kubva Zambezi Kusvika Limpopo


From The Zambezi to The Limpopo....  Zimbabwe in the news again.  I guess no one is surprised that a power sharing deal couldn't be worked out but I'm still grasping onto hope that things can only get better.  It has been 8 years since I left and not a day goes by where I don't spend a a few moments reminiscing about my time there.  This morning's article made be think about the Nyaminyami- God of the Zambeizi River- a half snake, half fish (some say crocodile) creature.  Carved soap stone statues and amulets can be found on most roadside craft stands.  The one I bought on a trip to Victoria Falls is one of my most treasured possessions.  I'm glad I was able to experience the Zimbabwe before things went terribly wrong.  With any luck, the next time I return, life there will be good again. 

Just for fun, here is a link to the Zimbabwean National Anthem.  Every morning before classes began, everyone would sing the anthem and say the Lord's Prayer.  I've never been able to remember the Lord's Prayer, but the melody to the anthem is burned into my memory.  

No comments: