Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Real Estate Woes

Every time I read anything about the housing crisis, I am immediately transported back to my days as a loan processor.  It's a very strange feeling imagining myself back in my old office, surrounded by piles and drawers of loan files, phone ringing, e-mails piling up, documents waiting to be faxed, boss yelling in my ear, going home at 9-10 pm knowing I would have to come in early the next morning to do it all over again.  As much stress that was inherent to that job, there were moments that I genuinely enjoyed.  Every once and a while I would close a deal for a new, first-time, homeowner.  Most of the time these individuals would put their hard earned savings as down payment knowing that most of their earned income would go towards their monthly payments leaving little or nothing for luxuries.  In these cases, the idea and security felt by owning property was worth the sacrifices- truly and surely, it was the white-picket fence ideal in action.  I wonder if these borrowers are in still in their homes.  I hope they are. 

No comments: