Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Bit of Home Lost

I stumbled across an article in the Boston Globe about Super 88 Markets.  This is a sad day indeed.  These markets are one of my favorite things about Boston.  Every time I set foot in a store, I'm reminded of home.  Going to the Chinese supermarket was a ritual in my family.  Most weekends we would stock up on the freshest produce, condiments, tofu, and anything else we needed but could not get at your run of the mill grocer.  I loved watching the live fish swim around in the tanks.  After admiring the fluidity of their movements, I would brutally imagine them prepared on a platter for dinner later in the evening.  Delicious!

The closing of 3 Super 88s is further evidence of the shifting economic landscape.  Bleak times ahead.  


No comments: