Tuesday, October 14, 2008

In Need of Something Lighthearted

Woke up this morning NOT wanting to read the news.  NOT wanting to read about more bailouts.  NOT wanting to read about corruption of governments.  NOT wanting to read about the failure of humanity.  

I was pleasantly surprised when the top 5 for today were quite positive in tone: increased voter registration in Mississippi, NLCS victory for the Phillies, Asian and European markets rallying upwards, Spielberg and Universal, and upcoming MacBook announcements.  

After reading the articles, I had a clear vision of today's handkerchief.......an homage to ET.  ET changed my life.  At risk of sounding overly dramatic, it was the first movie to show me the emotive power of cinema.  I was 5 years old, sitting in the back of my family's manilla yellow station wagon at the local drive-in theatre.   On the screen I see ET, pale white and dying.  I start to sob uncontrollably.  I was utterly unconsolable.  I knew what was unfolding on the screen was a complete fabrication, but my logic had no control over my physical reaction.  

A professor once told me, "We cry when we still have hope, laugh when all hope is gone."  I had an abundant amount of hope that ET would survive and return home.  My tears were not in vain.  


No comments: